Skip to main content

Youth Open Bouldering-November 2015

Apologies for the gap between this post and the last one- I've been very busy with school work etc.
It was on the 22nd November that I went to the Youth Open Bouldering event at The Climbing Works, Sheffield to compete in my less favoured discipline-bouldering (to non-climbers this involves climbing short problems without a rope).
Upon arrival I warmed up and went to look at my problems-I was pleased but surprised to find lots of slabby problems and only a few vertical/overhang/roof ones. I was still annoyed about my 4th place the previous day. However, I tried to come into this comp with a new mindset as I knew I didn't have as much pressure on me today.
The qualifiers were surprisingly difficult considering the gradients of them and the most topped by anyone was 4 out of 8 by Hannah Slaney. I managed to flash (get first go) the easiest (but by no means easy) problem in a corner which involved pressing on slopers and careful feet. What put me in 2nd qualifying position was flashing another much harder slab, which most people tried to dyno but I, being rubbish at dynos, found a way to do statically.
The finals were a mix of styles with one slab and two overhangs. I discussed the sequence of each with my fellow finalists in observation and warmed up carefully in isolation. The first problem was a powerful overhang with a mix of crimps and slopers. I got to the bonus hold first go (I knew at the time this put me in joint 1st position so far) but couldn't get past this point on any attempt as I couldn't figure out where to put my feet.
The second problem was far more suited to me, being a slab and I read the problem carefully before getting on the wall (it was a 3 min+ time system). With careful foot placements and slow, balanced movements I was able to flash this, retaining my position of joint 1st.
I soon realised that the person I was tying with, Alexia Basch, had qualified in 4 the place behind me so if I could climb well in the last final I would win the competition on count back! This made me nervous and on the last block I fell before reaching the bonus because of a big, powerful deadpoint move. This was my worst kind of move (apart from full dynos) and I was unable to complete the move on any attempts. I watched Hannah Slaney, who climbed after me, get past this move and to my dismay, calculated that I had come 3rd. Although this would have been a good position for me in bouldering, I had been so fixed on winning before the last block.
However, they do say 'don't count your chickens before they've hatched' and I found in the awards ceremony that I had miscalculated my position and had come 2nd! I was chuffed with this but also surprised that I had done better in the bouldering than in the leading. Congratulations to Alexia Basch, who came 1st and Hannah Slaney, who came 3rd as well as all the other competitors.
Keep climbing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons from the Lock-Down

So as you all may have noticed, I haven’t written on this blog for a long time, mainly due to the fact that I’ve been focusing on my studies at uni. With the very weird situation going on, I’ve decided, as I’m sure many others have, to rekindle an old hobby-blog writing! As someone who is used to and enjoys a very regimented, busy training schedule (and life in general), I have struggled to adapt my lifestyle but I feel that in the days that have already passed I have learnt some lessons about myself and the way I live. My family home is in London, but I decided to stay in student halls in Leeds during this period as my family and I felt that travelling to the hub of the virus didn’t seem to make sense at this time and, being the outdoorsy person that I am, I felt it would be better for me psychologically and physically to be near larger green spaces for my single daily exercise. I miss my parents and sister, but I also appreciate the time I have spent getting to know myself! Below

Finding the Balance: Life outside the gym

Up until now my blog has served to guide people through my climbing experiences; people know me as an athlete and that is all. However, for this post I want to write more about myself and how I strive to find balance in my life. For me, climbing is the most important aspect of my existence, but equally, it is for this reason that there have been times when I have felt on the verge of break down because all my self-value relied on climbing and my performance in the sport. I cared little about anything else-my social life, my studies, my other hobbies, even my family. In saying this I may sound like some cold-hearted climbing machine and in many ways that’s how I saw myself, but it is my belief that this mind-set is not uncommon among individuals who dedicate the majority of their life to achieving and mastering a single activity. I am by no means a changed person from the Jo who isolated herself from the rest of her life in the pursuit of being the best. I still struggle to find a bal

GB Team Training in Arco

As I sit here on my laptop, staring out of my window onto a grey, raining gloom-August in England-I can't help but think of the sunny skies of Arco, Italy, where I spent my last week on a GB Team training trip. The trip was a perfect combination of activities in a perfect location-we spent our time eating ice cream. swimming in Lake Garda, playing 'Manhunt' in the warm evenings and of course climbing, both at the incredible Rock Master Wall and outdoors at a variety of crags. Having not done much outdoor sport climbing before, I was quite nervous at the start of the trip, expecting to be completely out-climbed and terrified of the whole experience. To my surprise, my fears soon subsided and as we visited more crags, my confidence grew and by the end of the trip I had flashed 7b and redpointed my first 8a outdoors. Topping out on 'La Cucina dell'Inferno' (8a) was definitely the highlight of my trip but I also really enjoyed trying the competition style routes se