Skip to main content

Finding my feet on the World Cup Circuit


As many of you will know my schedule has been rather busy lately as I’ve been competing in my first ever Boulder World Cup season! As a result, this is m
y first post in a while, but I’ll keep it short to give a quick insight into my experience so far.
Last year I represented GB in a couple of Lead World Cups but as I was still a junior, my season was focussed on the junior comps. Now, having stepped up into the seniors, all my training is orientated towards those comps and I have had the chance to try my hand at the bouldering circuit. This is something I’ve always wanted to do, having watched many a live-stream where the athletes leap around in a more parkour style than what I thought of as ‘climbing’. This comp style has never been my forte; I’ve always been stronger at the basic, board-style problems. However, I have learnt so much already from this season that I’m psyched to work on my biggest weaknesses-dynamic movement and coordination.
My first event was Moscow and I went to this with no particular expectations; I simply wanted to have fun and come away knowing that I had given it my best shot. I enjoyed the boulders as they varied in style so the most successful athletes were also the most well-rounded. I came away happy with how I had climbed (two tops and a last move dropped) but more importantly motivated to put what I had learnt into practice at the next World Cups. After reflecting on my mistakes, I concluded that my main point for improvement was to spend more time reading the problems and less time trying them. I had become over-excited on some of the blocks and spent the 5 minutes throwing myself at the wall, hoping that the right beta would come to me on the wall. This meant that I wasn’t resting enough and was taking too many attempts to achieve tops and zones.
Literally 'finding my feet' at the World Cup in Moscow (photo by Sergei Komlev)
A week at home was barely enough time to make real gains in terms of strength and fitness, but I was able to mentally prepare for the next two comps in China. The first comp in Chongqing was my best result; a 27th place finish in a field of almost 100 was enough to give me World Cup ranking points and almost enough to put me in semis. I climbed with good composure and was careful about using my attempts wisely. The problems generally suited my style (they tended to reward good static strength on tiny crimps) so I was able to top 3, which was a nice confidence boost.
Moving on to the next event in Wujiang, the style of boulders changed completely. The set was far more dynamic and relied much more on leg power (something I lack!). I finished the comp hot and sweaty and feeling rather defeated with only one top. I had thought after Chongqing that I would be able to keep improving with every round. However, after reflecting on my performance it became clear to me that I could not just rely on my strengths to get me through the comps. In order to be the best, you have to be the best at everything, because the setters constantly change the style of blocks and at such a high level of competition, you need to be able to adapt with the style.
Overall I am glad that I had one comp which played to my strengths as this gave me the belief that I can do well at this level and that I had one comp where I got shut down. Wujiang highlighted just how polarised my strengths and weaknesses are and was a valuable lesson in continuing to try hard, even when the going is tough. This has left me excited for my last Boulder World Cup this season in Munich next week. Whatever the result, I want to try hard and have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding the Balance: Life outside the gym

Up until now my blog has served to guide people through my climbing experiences; people know me as an athlete and that is all. However, for this post I want to write more about myself and how I strive to find balance in my life. For me, climbing is the most important aspect of my existence, but equally, it is for this reason that there have been times when I have felt on the verge of break down because all my self-value relied on climbing and my performance in the sport. I cared little about anything else-my social life, my studies, my other hobbies, even my family. In saying this I may sound like some cold-hearted climbing machine and in many ways that’s how I saw myself, but it is my belief that this mind-set is not uncommon among individuals who dedicate the majority of their life to achieving and mastering a single activity. I am by no means a changed person from the Jo who isolated herself from the rest of her life in the pursuit of being the best. I still struggle to find a bal

Lessons from the Lock-Down

So as you all may have noticed, I haven’t written on this blog for a long time, mainly due to the fact that I’ve been focusing on my studies at uni. With the very weird situation going on, I’ve decided, as I’m sure many others have, to rekindle an old hobby-blog writing! As someone who is used to and enjoys a very regimented, busy training schedule (and life in general), I have struggled to adapt my lifestyle but I feel that in the days that have already passed I have learnt some lessons about myself and the way I live. My family home is in London, but I decided to stay in student halls in Leeds during this period as my family and I felt that travelling to the hub of the virus didn’t seem to make sense at this time and, being the outdoorsy person that I am, I felt it would be better for me psychologically and physically to be near larger green spaces for my single daily exercise. I miss my parents and sister, but I also appreciate the time I have spent getting to know myself! Below

GB Team Training in Arco

As I sit here on my laptop, staring out of my window onto a grey, raining gloom-August in England-I can't help but think of the sunny skies of Arco, Italy, where I spent my last week on a GB Team training trip. The trip was a perfect combination of activities in a perfect location-we spent our time eating ice cream. swimming in Lake Garda, playing 'Manhunt' in the warm evenings and of course climbing, both at the incredible Rock Master Wall and outdoors at a variety of crags. Having not done much outdoor sport climbing before, I was quite nervous at the start of the trip, expecting to be completely out-climbed and terrified of the whole experience. To my surprise, my fears soon subsided and as we visited more crags, my confidence grew and by the end of the trip I had flashed 7b and redpointed my first 8a outdoors. Topping out on 'La Cucina dell'Inferno' (8a) was definitely the highlight of my trip but I also really enjoyed trying the competition style routes se